Find A New Job
There are a lot of reasons that you want to find a new job. It could be for more money, better benefits, or you just don’t like your current job. Whatever your reason is, there are some things you need to do to find a new job.
Make specific resumes.
- Updating your resume is the first place you need to start. It’s deeper than that though. You need to update your resume to fit each job you apply for. It takes a little more time to make those changes, but the payoff is worth it.
- When you shotgun out the same resume to every job you apply for, your resume won’t make sense to some of the jobs. Applying for a management position versus a senior position requires a completely different skill set.
- While you are reading through job descriptions (you are reading them right?) make notes about which skills they are looking for and tweak your resume to show your experience with those skills. You want to show yourself as the most competent person for the position so emphasize your skills related to that position!
Tell people you want to find a new job.
- Nothing is going to help you more than the people you are connected with. Tell your friends, family, and LinkedIn network you are actively trying to find a new job. If nobody knows you’re looking, they can’t help you!
- Use your network for all it’s worth! Go to professional outings in your city or start connecting with people that work at the companies you are applying at. Don’t be bashful here. You want as many people to be on the lookout for your new job as you can get.
- This is a little tricky I’ll admit. You usually want to keep your job search hidden from your current job because of different reasons. The best way around that is to not tell anyone at your job you’re looking. That can be difficult, but it’s your best option. You can brag after you get an offer.
Reach out to recruiters.
- I know that some people are wary about talking to recruiters, but they are incredibly valuable when you’re trying to find a new job. They are insiders on what positions are available, where the positions are, and who is doing the hiring. The only way you could get more insight about a position is to know the hiring manager.
- Recruiters can do more than just help you apply for jobs. A lot of them will look over your resume to see if you need to update it and they’ll start sending you specific jobs. They also help you get a feel for the job and the people before you interview there.
- It’s also ok to just talk to them even if you don’t know them. They are always looking for people to help and if you make the first move, they might work harder for you. Just keep in mind that you won’t stop looking for jobs on your own. It’s still up to you to find a job you want. The recruiters are just there to help.
Apply to as many jobs as you can.
- This advice might seem pretty obvious, but a lot of people don’t do this! Applying for one or two jobs is a good starting place, but you need to do more if you are serious. If you really want to find a new job, you need to be applying for at least one a day.
- During my search it wasn’t uncommon for me to apply for two to seven jobs a day. That was a little extreme, but I did find a new job in about a month. Think about how much time you have to dedicate to this after work and come up with a reasonable number from there.
- This is the hardest part of any job search. You might be applying for jobs week after week and not hear back from any of them. That’s ok and it’s normal. The amount of time it takes you to find a new job is dependent on a lot of factors like your skills and the market.
- One thing you should always keep in mind during this time is that if you stop looking, then you’ll never find one. You have to keep applying and interviewing. Even if it takes you longer to find a new job than you’d like, you will find one.
- If you find yourself getting down or upset, then take a mental break. Maybe don’t apply for any jobs over the weekend or take a few days off during the week. Looking for a job takes a lot of energy and it’s easy to get burned out.
- Just stay up. You will find what you’re looking for, but you can’t stop looking for it.
If you’re wondering how I was able to find a new job so fast, here’s my secret. Web development skills are super in demand. There’s not a country in the world that isn’t hiring web developers. You can get in on this too!